Simons 3/11

Simons 3/11
Family Picture

Friday, October 30, 2009

Birthday Bookcase


The beginning stages of my book case - just getting the frame.



The main structure but none of the fancy work on it yet.



Starting to stain. It took three coats in the end. I love the knots in the wood.



Close up of the trim work - even the shelves have it.



Finished product - with my little Mae - isn't it awesome?

Did I mention my Marcus is practically perfect?? For my birthday this year I was interested in bookcases. Since we don't have our own house anymore Marcus hasn't had projects around the house to keep him busy. He told me a few days before my birthday that he was thinking about building me my own bookcase. I was delighted to hear - especially since it wasn't my idea, but his own.

It took him a few weeks to build it, but he didn't have long stretches of time to work on it. Mostly just after work in the evenings. It turned out wonderful, and this is going to be the first in a set of three that I eventually want. I think it might be one of my favorite birthday presents of all time.

I also bought some books to stick on my bookcase for my birthday. My birthday was Sept. 30. The kids were delighted to get me presents. They got me a new calender for next year, some dove chocolates and oreo cookies. Birthdays almost became just as fun again as when I was a kid when you have little kids to get excited over it with you. I also went to my parents house over conference weekend a few days after my birthday and my mom made me one of my favorite treats - mississipi mud for me. Love you mom.

3 comments:

Candice Buck Durfee said...

Marcus did a great job on that bookcase. It looks awesome!

Stacy Risenmay said...

What a fun and thoughtful birthday gift!!! Awesome!

Rochelle said...

The bookcase turned out fantastic. Marcus did an excellent job!