Simons 3/11

Simons 3/11
Family Picture

Monday, May 18, 2009

Tannen - oh the drama

Let me just say I hate the ER. Almost two weeks ago on Tuesday night/ Wednesday morning Tannen was really cranking and crying so much Marcus couldn't settle him down. He took his temperature and it was 100.7 under the arm. Tannen was just a couple days over three months old. I know if they are three months old or younger and there temperature gets that high they need to be seen. I call the on call doctor, and he told me I need to take him into the ER that night. So off I went 1:00am in the morning - first feeding him to help him settle down. We didn't even give him Tylenol - because we didn't have any infant ones.

I got there and the nurse said his rectal temperature was 100 even. And for them to diagnose for a high fever it would have to be 100.4. His breathing was fine and so were his ears. He looked great. He had been smiling for her and everything. But the doctor wanted to to a complete blood panel on him and a urinalysis on him because of his age. I said fine. The nurse poked him in the arm for his blood draw, and then started digging. Now I have really crappy veins and I hate it when they dig. It hurts bad. He was sobbing and she had the neddle all the way in still digging. I was shaking holding his little legs down. Then the blood vessle broke and she pulled the needle out. I asked if we had to do this. On of the nurses said I could refuse. They put a bandaid on him, and I took him to help him settle down, and sobbed. The nurses left me alone for a little bit. Then the Dr. came back we talked and I told them they could still to the urinalysis but they weren't poking him again. My thought was they had one chance and blew it. He came back clean, and then released him.

Marcus stayed up waiting for me. I went to Walmart for some tylenol and took him home. We got back at 3:30 am. Marcus stayed home the next day so I could sleep - I was so tired. Then he went to work that afternoon. He was cranky all week, and it took awhile for the fever to go away. It has been gone for a week, and then he had it again yesterday. No other signs or symptoms. Poor guy. But he is doing fine today.

On a happier note about a month ago he started laughing. Just this last week I have been getting some belly laughs. He loves kisses on his neck, and zuberts (that's what we call them) on his belly. He also discovered his hands last week and would clasp them together. Marcus kept thinking of Mr. Burns off of Simpsons and would say excellent anytime he did it. I love our little Tannen.



Yummy hands



"Excellent"

5 comments:

Laurel said...

I am glad that Tannen is feeling better. He sure looks cute in his pictures. Don't you love it when they learn something new!

Candice Buck Durfee said...

Poor little Tannen. He is a cute litter bugger though.

Parrylarious said...

He gets cuter by the moment. I love these new pictures. I just want to bust over and kiss his sweet cheeks and toes.

Natalie said...

It's so sad to see them sick. When Nathan was 6 weeks old he went unconscious on me and had a ton of breathing issues. It was horrible. I called 911 and we went to the ER. I hated my experience there too. They couldn't get the blood either. Being a nurse and a Newborn ICU nurse at that, I asked if I could do the stick. I had done blood draws and IV on tiny 1 pound babies a million times. They wouldn't let me! I couldn't believe it. I had to talk the nurse through her first head stick to get the blood. It was ridiculous. I am so happy that he is feeling better. I love his lashes. What a handsome little guy!

Wendi said...

That is horrible Natalie!! I would have been really mad too. Glad your little guy is fine now too.